4/16/19

What the L | Staples


Back in 2014 the iconic office supply store launched a Twitter campaign with #WhatTheL, and I didn't get the memo. Suddenly, the letter went missing from the signage at their original store in Massachusetts. Then Manhattan and Los Angeles…and so on. Apparently, this was just to test the waters for a 2019 rebrand.

I hold this company (and their logo) close to the heart. As a child, before start of the school year my sister and I were treated by my father to somewhat of a shopping spree. Not what most would consider exciting, but there was something about loading your untarnished Trapper Keeper with fresh paper and sharp utensils. And don't get me started with their Sharpie selection.

Years of the annual pilgrimage and I only assumed it was just a funky L. I knew it didn't look like the others but never really gave the attention it deserved, until it clicked. I realized the concept…like when you unexpectedly figure out the correct lyrics to a song you've been piecing together for days.

In my eyes, any change to the original logo would never be accepted. That being said, this update is alright. Especially since they now (assumably) offer tables, stables, hurdles and the like.